Friday, September 23, 2005

Curiosity

My very good friends and relatives.

One of my favorite rants is about people who use trite and quite often untrue phrases such as “proven fact” and “known to everyone” and “trust me.”
The other day I got an e-mail about common sense. That was the third time I got that same fluffy cloud of nothingness about people who do not think, do not understand, and do not have intellectual capacity to go beyond the visceral reactions to situations: close the borders, all these foreigners are taking our jobs. As if “our jobs” are the ones they are taking.
What they really mean is close the borders, the homeless and the vagrants will then get a job. Fat chance. Notice, will you, that every fast food restaurant has nothing but low income people working there and many of them are from “across the border.”
That means that if the sign HELP WANTED is on the door we should tell the owners of those businesses to hire ONLY the underclass. It's already illegal to hire undocumented immigrants.
I read in the papers virtually daily that this or that person is out of a job and can’t find one.
There are jobs. These jobs may not pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, but they pay more than no money a year.
That’s only ONE example of overreaction.
Here's another. When grandson's sperm donor complained about not being able to get a job, I told him I could both of us jobs in 20 minutes. He scoffed at the notion.
I went to a home improvement center and the Operations Officer/Manager was a fellow who had worked in the store I owned with my wife.
I asked him if he was hiring. He told me the fork lift driver didn't show up for work and the center was desperate for someone to unload trucks coming in that day. Sperm donor had said he would not work for less than $8.50 an hour. I asked the OM how much he was paying and he said, "Eight fifty and hour and I'll start benefits from today, I'm so desperate."
In those days, early '90s, the cell phones were about the size of WWII walkie talkie radios. I called the sperm donor and told him to come interview. He asked me about the job and I told him to see the OM and ask, he asked me about what he had to do at the job and I repeated that he should see the OM and ask. Finally, he said, "I guess I'd have to go to work every day."
I pushed the Off button and walked out of the store. I was too embarrassed to talk to Henry about it.
I presume Henry got himself a fork lift driver.
I went to a security company, hey, I'm well past 60 by this time!, and asked about a job. They handed me an application. On it, one questions wanted to know SALARY EXPECTED. I put down $80,000 a year. The director of assignments told me, "We don't pay anything close to that amount." I wondered what they paid. He replied, "Usually minimum wage, (then it was) about $5 an hour." I told him, "Close enough." He leaned back in his chair laughing and, as you well know, doing that in an office chair can result in some disasterous results. And, while he laughed the chair fell over backwards and he was still laughing while he tried to extract himself from the chair and regain composure.
I worked for that company for 5 years until I had a stroke and had to quit. That was when I realized I had to retire.
Like the sperm donor, I'd loved to have had a high-paying do-nothing job, but I was going to work, not make a million bucks.
Too many people want the bucks and find little or no satisfaction of just doing a good job.
There are other stories, I'm sure.

The charlatan charismatics like Swaggart and Oral – you’d think he’d get a little different name or at least a nickname, wouldn’t you? – Roberts or those other screamers and yellers take advantage of simple folks.
They preach the “fear of god.” Well, what I heard when I was younger was that god was generous and forgiving, that’s why I had to confess the times I masturbated so the priest would know when and how often.
Gee, what a turn on That must have been.
I didn’t steal anything to speak of -- once I stole a piece of bubble gum (when it was 1c a piece), so that was no turn on. I think they use that “confessional” as a dark room of prurience.
Oh well, it’s what they do for a living, I guess. But, when they preach this “god fearing” person is doing things on “our” behalf, I’m not at all interested in what he/she is doing because I’m certain it’s not something I want done for me.
Thank you, but I’d rather you didn’t do it for “me.”
Do it for yourself and your self interest and then admit that.
Don’t put it on me that you are doing something YOU want done.

And what they ought to do is get a f'ing job. Go work. Don't worry about me. I'll do just fine. If I go to hell, I go to hell. If I don't, they'll never know. I just don't want them worrying about what I do and where the hell I'm going. I do, actually, believe that most of them are in it for the power, the glory, and the money. The three all add up to that after all.

Thank you for your kind attention and class will resume tomorrow at the same time. Be sure to turn in your home-work before you leave and don't forget your lunch either.
Kingsugar70

1 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Hi, I was just surfing by and landed on your site! If you have time, pay my web internet marketing related site. a visit It's nothing special but you might still find something interesting.

Thanks

Don

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home