Sunday, June 25, 2006

Just flat fed up

I know it's not a good thing to discuss politics or religion, but I'm just fed the hell up with some things. Brain dead and full of advice from reactionary types, this political season will suddenly emerge as one of the worst ever for this country. And, of course, the religions are no better.
With the atmosphere now, we'd likely never have any of the human rights or the religious freedoms we strived for so many years to achieve. Can you think of a less likely candidate for Human Rights leader than someone like Ralph Reed or Trent Lott? They talk big, but they end up with the same old mantra, "We didn't do it that way in the 'old days.'" You know what? That might be what's wrong with us now. The "old days." Nothing succeeds like success, but then what was the success? It was the commercial ventures of the likes of Rockefeller and Vanderbilts and those others who fleeced this country and it's people of their valuable resources. They drained the oil, they stip mined, they built one huge megalopolis on top of another until the streams and mountains are now freeways and flattened to provide for another shopping mall. We drove out of cities and wondered just how long it would be before another housing development would rise on those wonderous rolling hills with the verdancy and natural beauty, homes to untold creatures and they didn't do anything to make us so mad as to tear down their nests or resting places. What did they do to make, oh, I see, they occupied otherwise useful land.
The politics were in place, so the greedy, the corrupt, and the damn fools took money from developers and land rapers and let them do anything they liked.
Now you've got me started.
The religious right has taken away any semblance of letting me do with my faith, or lack of it, my belief or lack of it, as I damn well please.
For instance, a belief is not a religion, no matter what that stupid fool said in the newspaper last week, claiming atheists' bleif's made them a religion. I believe I'll have a beer. That makes my beer bottle a religion? I think not. I believe I'll have another try at the Lotto. You get the idea, so I won't belabor the point.
That there is faith is a good thing for many people, but it can't be sustained for a long period of time. No, it can't. If you disbelieve that, then tell me why there are now more religions than ever before. Is it because of sustained belief? Or is it because they can't sustain that belief and have to change to another thought/faith to maintain their religion? I suggest it isn't the faith, but that driving desire to have one that soon becomes just another frantic effort and fails to satisfy their need.
The politics of this Republican Administration are all rehashes of old news late '60s crap. This "privatization of Social Security" has been told over and over again, and only a few really believe it is possible. My grandparents lived in an age of privatization and died poor. My grandmother thought FDR was a Communist, but every month she cashed that $90 check she got for all her years and years of work -- she worked until just before she died of tuberculosis. She got TB and, because there was no union to force the issue of health care on the work place, she had to live with it for as long as she could. Didn't. Died.
The real truth is that faith based assistance is just that. Those who need it have to have faith that the assistance will come. Then it doesn't and they are not at all surprised. Faith based almost always, not almost, ALWAYS, leads greedy and crooked people to come along with charismatic words of how they will, but they WILL only take the money and run.
I have more to say, but for now, I'll just let you know that as I grow older and, I hope, somewhat more well informed, I have no faith, no religion, and no belief there is much left for this country to absorb except we change. The right would have us believe the left is not capable of making the country better. Gee, what about the left and those vacations? The 5 day work week? Overtime pay? Why are we able to have reasonable laws regarding clean air? How about retirement income? Damn fool left wingers, those liberal dupes, they caused all this to happen.
The ruin of the middle class is coming unless the left, the liberals, rise up and say, "ENOUGH!" It has to happen. I hope it does. If it doesn't, I won't be here much longer and I won't have to see it.
Thankfully,
0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home